If you’re looking to update your bathroom, one of the first things to consider is your shower. Walk-in showers and tub surrounds are often the focal point of a bathroom. Choosing the right one is important because it’s a direct reflection of your personal style and can add functionality and value to your bathroom. Our customers who are looking to renovate their bathroom are often surprised by the number of options available for bathtub and shower surrounds. To make life a little easier, we’ve put together a list of some of the most common types of shower wall materials and some pros and cons of each.
- An acrylic wall surround is affordable and durable. Keep that in mind if you’re looking to remodel your bathroom on a budget.
- Acrylic panels are quick and easy to install.
- There are a lot of unique acrylic tub surround styles to choose from.
- Good quality acrylic is very resistant to scratching, fading, and other damage, so it’ll look great in your tub for a long time.
- Unlike tiles, which require grout and have a lot of crevices where mold and mildew can build up, acrylic is very easy to clean.
- Glass tiles reflect the light, which can help make your bathroom feel bigger. Since it’s see-through, it also adds some extra dimension and depth. This is a great choice if you’re dealing with a smaller bathroom.
- Glass tiles come in a lot of colors and shapes, which allows you to customize your shower and really show off your style.
- Glass shower tiles and enclosures can show soap and water marks easily. However, they’re easy to clean with a bit of Windex or other glass cleaners.
- Glass is very stain-resistant.
- Installation can take time since there’s a lot of cutting, fitting, and design work involved.
Ceramic & Porcelain
- Ceramic and porcelain tiles are available in a lot of unique colors, styles, and designs, which means you have a lot of options and can design or remodel your bathroom to suit your needs.
- Much like glass, dealing with intricate designs and patterns can make tiling with ceramic or porcelain a little more time-intensive than other installation options, like acrylic.
- All the crevices and grout can make ceramic and porcelain tiles a little harder to clean.
No matter what type of shower or materials you’re looking for, Watters can help. If you have questions about choosing the right material for your shower wall or remodeling the bathroom in your Fox Cities home, the plumbing experts at Watters are always here to help. If you’d like to see some of these materials in person, be sure to stop by our showroom in Menasha!
Request an estimate or give us a call.