A bathroom remodel can be incredibly exciting. There’s nothing like transforming an “ok” bathroom into one you and your family truly love to use for years to come. However, any remodeling project — especially a bathroom — is not one to jump into unprepared. From pricing to design to the overall project timeline, there are a lot of factors to consider. We’ve put together a few things you should know before going head first into a bathroom remodeling project.
How much will it cost to remodel my bathroom?
One of the first topics many homeowners inquire about is price and budgeting. That’s a great topic, but not always an easy one to address. If you’re considering a bathroom remodel in your Fox Cities home, here are a few things to keep in mind regarding your budget and remodeling costs:
- A lot of factors impact the cost of a bathroom remodel — from the size of the room to the quality/brand of materials you opt to use.
- For most plumbing and bathroom remodeling companies, like Watters Plumbing, the best way to get an accurate quote is to schedule an estimate where the bathroom remodeling experts can see the space and talk specifics with you. That way, everyone is on the same page and there are minimal surprises along the way.
- Have a budget in mind. Yes, costs vary, but a budget makes it easier to discuss what’s realistic and affordable within your price point.
- Bathroom remodels don’t have to be expensive. Easy and stylish tub-to-shower conversions are affordable and look great for homeowners looking for a quick update.
- Be careful when taking on a DIY bathroom remodel. While you may think it’s a cheaper option, there’s a lot that goes into a project like this. Unfortunately, we’ve had to go in and fix more than a few remodeling mistakes that well-meaning DIYers make. The cost of working with professionals is usually worth it when you consider all the time, energy, and materials that you’ll put into it.
How do I pick the right style and decor for my bathroom?
One of the best things about a bathroom renovation is creating the bathroom of your dreams from the ground up! Discussions about style and decor are going to be a crucial part of the remodeling process. Here are a few things to consider when it comes to designing and decorating your dream bathroom:
- Come in with at least a few ideas and examples of bathrooms you love. That gives you and the Watters Plumbing design team something to work off of. Visiting our showroom in Menasha to see some examples is a great place to start.
- Be sure to share your “must-haves” with your remodel team upfront. That way it’s easier to scale back on other less important items to fit your budget.
- Even if you have ideas, be open to new ones. Chances are, you’ll see new products and materials you never thought of.
- Consider functionality. Sure, a specific vanity may look great, but if it doesn’t work in space or meet your family’s needs, what’s the point?
How long does it take to remodel a bathroom?
Questions regarding how long the project will take are also common. Much like pricing, that’s not an easy question to answer right off the bat either. Here are a few things to consider regarding a timeline for your bathroom remodeling project.
- Multiple factors impact how quickly a bathroom remodeling project is complete. Staffing, availability of parts and fixtures, unexpected surprises (such as finding mold or other issues), and our unpredictable Wisconsin weather can delay a project.
- To combat these delays, we recommend you avoid scheduling a bathroom renovation or remodel project on a tight deadline. Right before a big event (such as a holiday gathering, graduation party, or family reunion) is set to take place at your home is not always an ideal time for a bathroom renovation project.
- You should also tell us (or whomever you work with on your remodel project) about any important events or schedule dates that may impact your project early on. On the flip side, a good contractor will be upfront about their schedule, availability, and timelines as well.
- Plan ahead for when your bathroom is out of commission. You may need to make arrangements with neighbors and friends or plan to use the shower at your local gym while your bathroom is being remodeled.
There are tons of reasons to consider remodeling your bathroom — from improving safety to increasing the value of your home. If your bathroom could use a little TLC, we’d love to work with you.
Let us know if you have any questions. It’s time to make the bathroom of your dreams a reality! Request an estimate or give us a call.